Umahi Seeks Abuja Takeover of Mary Habila Death Probe
Umahi Seeks Abuja Takeover of Mary Habila Death Probe
By Divine Macaulay ยท
Sources alleged that Umahi became dissatisfied with the handling of the case after expecting local authorities in Ebonyi to manage the situation following Habila's death at his private residence in Uburu, Ohaozara Local Government Area.
Fresh controversy has enveloped the investigation into the death of Mary Habila

, the young woman who died at the residence of Minister of Works, David Umahi, following allegations that the minister has sought to transfer the police investigation and planned forensic autopsy from Ebonyi State to Abuja.
Multiple sources familiar with the matter said the move has also exposed alleged political undercurrents between Umahi and his successor as Ebonyi State governor, Francis Nwifuru, over the handling of the high-profile case.
According to the sources, Umahi approached senior police authorities in Abuja after public outrage intensified and Habila's planned burial was suspended last week. The minister was said to have requested that the investigation be taken over from the Ebonyi State Police Command and that Habila's remains be moved to Abuja for a forensic autopsy.
The sources alleged that Umahi became dissatisfied with the handling of the case after expecting local authorities in Ebonyi to manage the situation following Habila's death at his private residence in Uburu, Ohaozara Local Government Area.
They further claimed that the minister left the residence shortly after the incident, leaving some aides, including one identified as Jonathan Bawado, to coordinate the immediate response.
According to the sources, attempts to quietly manage the matter were unsuccessful after police officers and hospital officials allegedly refused to suppress information relating to the case. They added that photographs purportedly showing Habila with blood around her mouth and nose later surfaced online, fuelling public concern and renewed calls for an independent investigation.
The controversy deepened after Habila's father, Wisdom Habila, filed an affidavit before the Ebonyi State High Court opposing a forensic autopsy. However, amid mounting public pressure for a thorough investigation, the burial scheduled for last Friday was postponed.
The sources also alleged that Umahi sponsored a press conference at which Habila's father appealed for his daughter's body to be released for burial. Anita Baaki, a friend of the deceased who was reportedly present at the minister's residence when Habila died, attended the briefing and insisted there was no foul play.
Habila died on June 27 under controversial circumstances at Umahi's residence in Uburu, prompting a police investigation that remains ongoing.
The case has also raised questions about Habila's employment history. While the minister's media team initially described her as a physiotherapist on secondment to the Federal Ministry of Works, subsequent reports identified her as a Community Health Extension Worker (CHEW).
The Nigeria Society of Physiotherapy later said Habila's name was not listed in its register of licensed physiotherapists, contradicting claims that she was a practising physiotherapist.
Authorities have maintained that a forensic autopsy remains necessary to establish the exact cause of Habila's death before her body can be released for burial. The Ebonyi State Police Command has yet to publicly comment on the reported request to transfer the investigation to Abuja.