Oyo School Abduction: Troops Tighten Siege on Kidnappers as Rescue Mission Intensifies
Oyo School Abduction: Troops Tighten Siege on Kidnappers as Rescue Mission Intensifies
By Divine Macaulay ยท
Security forces have intensified efforts to rescue dozens of pupils and teachers abducted from schools in Oyo State after intelligence reports identified key Boko Haram commanders allegedly linked to the attack and indicated that the kidnappers are now largely confined within the Oyo National Park.
The development comes 36 days after gunmen stormed three schools in Oriire Local Government Area on May 15, abducting 42 pupils and education workers, including a school principal. The victims were taken from Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; L.A. Primary School; and Community Grammar School, Esiele, in one of the most significant school abductions recorded in South-West Nigeria.
Security sources said troops and other personnel have mounted sustained operations around the forest, cutting off escape routes and tightening the security cordon around the kidnappers' hideouts.
Despite the pressure, the rescue mission has faced stiff resistance. The terrorists, identified as members of the Boko Haram, have reportedly planted improvised explosive devices (IEDs) across parts of the forest while frequently relocating the hostages to evade detection.
The difficult terrain and extensive use of explosive traps have slowed military advances, while several clashes have resulted in casualties among security personnel. Sources disclosed that at least three soldiers, including a Nigerian Army lieutenant, have been killed during separate encounters with the insurgents.
A security operative, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said troops were proceeding with extreme caution due to the widespread deployment of explosives and the constant movement of the kidnappers.
According to the source, intelligence indicates the terrorists are aware they are being tracked and have been changing locations almost daily. However, security agencies believe the group has been unable to break through the security cordon surrounding the national park.
Earlier this week, Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde confirmed that soldiers involved in the rescue operation had lost their lives while carrying out the mission.
Investigations also revealed that the kidnappers are demanding the release of two senior Boko Haram commanders in exchange for the abducted pupils and teachers. The individuals reportedly sought are Mahmud Usman, also known as Abu Bara'a or Abbas Mukhtar, and his deputy, Abubakar Abba, who is also identified by several aliases.
Authorities have reportedly ruled out negotiations with the terrorists, insisting that efforts remain focused on securing the victims' safe release through ongoing military operations.
Intelligence sources further believe recent Boko Haram attacks in other parts of the country may be aimed at diverting security attention and stretching military resources to create escape opportunities for the trapped insurgents. However, security officials expressed confidence that the strategy would not succeed, noting that troops have maintained strong surveillance across all identified exit routes.
Another major challenge facing the rescue mission is the reported use of the abducted pupils and teachers as human shields. Security officials said the presence of the victims within terrorist camps has complicated operational planning, making a full-scale assault too risky.
One source disclosed that intelligence estimates suggest more than 200 fighters are currently operating around the area where the hostages are being held, making surveillance and rescue operations more complex.
Meanwhile, the Oyo State Government has maintained a policy of strict confidentiality over the rescue operation.
The state's Commissioner for Information, Prince Dotun Oyelade, said authorities would continue to limit public comments to avoid jeopardising ongoing efforts.
"Our primary concern is the safety and wellbeing of the abducted pupils and teachers. We will avoid releasing any information that could compromise the rescue operation or place the victims at greater risk," he said.