Oyo Police Dismiss Claim Abducted Pupils, Teachers Were Airlifted to Kaduna, Intensify Rescue Efforts
Oyo Police Dismiss Claim Abducted Pupils, Teachers Were Airlifted to Kaduna, Intensify Rescue Efforts
By Divine Macaulay ·
The Oyo State Police Command has dismissed as false and misleading a viral social media claim alleging that pupils and teachers abducted in Orire Local Government Area were transported by helicopter to Kaduna State.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Olayinka Ayanlade, described the report as unverified and lacking any factual basis, urging members of the public to disregard the circulating video.
According to the police, the claim that victims abducted from Ahoro-Esiele and Yawota communities had been moved out of Oyo State was entirely unfounded.
“The Command wishes to categorically state that the content of the said video is entirely false, unverified, misleading, and devoid of any factual basis,” Ayanlade said.
He added that the report failed to meet the standard of credibility required for information relating to sensitive security matters.
The police assured the public that coordinated rescue efforts were ongoing, with security and intelligence agencies working round the clock to secure the victims' release and bring the perpetrators to justice.
“Intensive rescue operations remain ongoing. The Oyo State Police Command, in close collaboration with other security and intelligence agencies, has significantly intensified efforts aimed at ensuring the safe rescue of all abducted victims, their prompt reunification with their families, and the apprehension and prosecution of those responsible for the unfortunate incident,” the statement said.
The command also cautioned against the circulation of unverified information, warning that the spread of false reports could fuel public panic and undermine ongoing security operations.
It stressed that individuals or groups found deliberately disseminating misleading content would be prosecuted in accordance with the law.
Reaffirming its commitment to public safety, the command said it was deploying all available resources to ensure the safe return of the abducted pupils and teachers while sustaining efforts to safeguard lives and property across the state.