Ndume Commends Military, Zulum, NEMA Over Rescue of 416 Ngoshe Abductees, Urges Swift Action on Remaining Captives
Ndume Commends Military, Zulum, NEMA Over Rescue of 416 Ngoshe Abductees, Urges Swift Action on Remaining Captives
By Divine Macaulay ยท
Senator Mohammed Ali Ndume (Borno South) has praised the Nigerian military, the Borno State Government led by Governor Babagana Zulum, and the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) for their roles in securing the safe release of 416 residents of Ngoshe community in Gwoza Local Government Area, who were abducted by suspected Boko Haram insurgents.
The rescued victims, mostly women and children, had been held captive since March 3, 2026, when insurgents attacked a military base in Ngoshe, causing widespread destruction and abducting several civilians. Troops involved in ongoing operations had earlier rescued some of the captives around the Mandara Mountains.
Reacting to the development in a statement issued on Sunday, Ndume described the rescue operation, which culminated in the victims' release on Saturday, as highly commendable.
The former Chairman of the Senate Committee on Army, who is also from Gwoza Local Government Area, applauded the efforts of the military and other stakeholders involved in the operation.
"Alhamdulillah (we thank God), all the Ngoshe captives were released last night," Ndume said.
"I commend the Nigerian Army, especially the Theatre Commander of Operation HADIN KAI, Major General Abdulsalam Abubakar, the new General Officer Commanding (GOC) 7 Division, Maiduguri, the Brigade Commander of the 26 Task Force Brigade, Gwoza, and other security agencies for their commitment and professionalism.
"The over 400 victims had been in captivity since March 3, 2026, and I am delighted to receive the news of their safe release."
Ndume also lauded Governor Babagana Zulum for his sustained efforts in rebuilding Ngoshe community and providing support to both security personnel and victims of insurgency.
"I also commend Governor Babagana Zulum for his relentless efforts in rebuilding Ngoshe and for his support to the military and affected residents," he said.
The senator further expressed appreciation to NEMA Director-General, Hajiya Zubaida Umar, for providing relief materials to displaced persons affected by the insurgency.
"My appreciation also goes to the Director-General of NEMA, Hajiya Zubaida Umar, for the provision of relief materials to displaced people," he added.
However, Ndume urged the military and other security agencies to intensify efforts to secure the release of more than 40 pupils recently abducted from schools in Mussa village, Askira-Uba Local Government Area, as well as others still being held by insurgents.
"I urge the military and other security agencies to intensify efforts toward rescuing the over 40 pupils abducted from schools in Mussa village of Askira-Uba Local Government Area, and many others who remain in captivity," he stated.
He also called on the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs to complement the Borno State Government's efforts in rebuilding Ngoshe and other communities devastated by Boko Haram and ISWAP attacks.