World

MTN Appeals for Calm as Anti-Migrant Protests in South Africa Trigger Backlash Across Africa

MTN Appeals for Calm as Anti-Migrant Protests in South Africa Trigger Backlash Across Africa

By Divine Macaulay ยท

MTN Appeals for Calm as Anti-Migrant Protests in South Africa Trigger Backlash Across Africa

MTN has appealed for calm as growing anti-migrant tensions in South Africa spark protests in other African countries, including demonstrations outside the company's offices in Ghana.

The Johannesburg-based telecommunications giant said the safety of its employees, customers and assets remains its top priority across all markets. The company also reaffirmed its support for lawful dialogue on migration through initiatives led by the Kgalema Motlanthe Foundation.

The latest backlash follows a protest on June 11, when members of the "South Africa Must Go" movement marched to MTN Ghana's headquarters in Accra, accusing South Africa of mistreating African migrants and demanding stronger action.

The demonstrations come amid rising anti-immigration sentiment in South Africa. An activist group known as March and March has called for undocumented migrants to leave the country by June 30, threatening a nationwide shutdown if its demands are not met.

However, South African President Cyril Ramaphosa dismissed the ultimatum, saying the planned action was unnecessary because the government was already addressing immigration issues. Justice Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi also stressed that the government does not recognise the June 30 deadline.

Business groups have warned that hostility towards foreign nationals could damage South Africa's economy and its commercial ties across the continent. In a joint statement issued on June 5, Business Unity South Africa (BUSA) and Business Leadership South Africa (BLSA) urged the government to promote social cohesion while effectively managing immigration.

The humanitarian impact has been most visible in Durban, where thousands of migrants, many believed to be from Malawi, have sought refuge in temporary camps after fleeing fears of xenophobic violence. Many families are living in makeshift shelters as they await evacuation.

Several African countries have begun repatriating their citizens. Zimbabwe has assisted 696 nationals to return home since early June, Malawi is transporting thousands back across the border, Nigeria has evacuated 586 citizens, while Ghana repatriated about 300 people last month. Mozambique also reported that five of its citizens were killed in what it described as xenophobic attacks in Mossel Bay.

MTN Group Chief Executive Ralph Mupita said the crisis underscores the importance of African unity, stressing that the continent's future depends on solidarity, respect for the rule of law and peaceful coexistence.

As the June 30 deadline approaches, the South African government has vowed that security agencies will take necessary measures to maintain law and order and prevent any outbreak of violence.