Guilty Plea in Midtown Murder: Luigi Mangione.
Mangione admits killing healthcare CEO and pleads guilty to federal charges
By EZINNE ยท
ANGLE360 NEWS | LIVE UPDATES
Guilty Plea in Midtown Murder: Luigi Mangione Admits to Federal Stalking Charges in Killing of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson
By Ezinne Nwokwu
Published: August 15, 2026
Key Developments At-a-Glance
The Guilty Plea: Luigi Mangione pleaded guilty in a Manhattan federal court to federal stalking charges connected to the December 2024 assassination of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson.
Direct Confession: During a hastily scheduled hearing, Mangione explicitly told the court, "On the morning of Dec. 4, 2024, I shot Mr. Thompson in Manhattan, and he died," citing grievances over back pain and the healthcare insurance system.
Legal Aftershocks: Following the federal plea, defense counsel swiftly filed a motion to dismiss the pending New York state murder trial on double jeopardy grounds, while federal prosecutors announced they will seek life imprisonment at his December sentencing.
A Stunning Admission in Federal Court
NEW YORK ; Legal proceedings surrounding one of the most high-profile corporate assassinations in recent U.S. history took a dramatic turn as Luigi Mangione formally pleaded guilty to federal stalking charges.
Appearing in federal court in Manhattan wearing beige jail scrubs, the 28-year-old matter-of-factly detailed how he tracked Brian Thompson to a midtown hotel ahead of an annual investor conference. Speaking rapidly before U.S. District Judge Margaret Garnett, Mangione confessed to using a 3D-printed weapon equipped with a silencer to ambush the 50-year-old executive from behind.
"I shot Mr. Thompson in Manhattan, and he died," Mangione told the court. He added that he understood his actions were illegal and would place the victim in fear of death or serious injury. Explaining his underlying motivations to the court, Mangione pointed to "years of enduring severe pain from a broken back, navigating the obstacles of the health insurance system and witnessing similar experiences of countless others."
Double Jeopardy Battle Lines and State Prosecution
The unexpected change of plea has thrown the dual-prosecution strategy into immediate legal chaos. Within minutes of the federal proceeding, Mangione's defense team, led by Karen Friedman Agnifilo, filed a formal motion seeking to dismiss the upcoming New York state murder trial originally slated for jury selection in September arguing that a preceding guilty plea under federal jurisdiction bars a secondary state trial for the same underlying conduct.
Manhattan prosecutors, who previously maintained primary jurisdictional claims, indicated they intend to vigorously contest the dismissal bid, setting up a contentious legal battle over double jeopardy protections. Meanwhile, federal prosecutors stated they will press for a sentence of life imprisonment without parole when Mangione formally faces sentencing on December 18.
The resolution of the federal phase marks a poignant milestone for the victim's family. In a public statement issued following the hearing, representatives for the Thompson family expressed gratitude that the justice system has held the perpetrator accountable, emphasizing that while no verdict can reverse their loss, the admission closes a critical chapter in a tragedy that sent shockwaves through the American healthcare and corporate sectors.
Angle360 News will continue to provide live, verified updates as this developing story unfolds.