FG Plans Fresh Pay Rise for Military Personnel, Says Defence Minister
ABUJA – The Minister of Defence, General Christopher Gwabin Musa (retd.), has disclosed that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu will soon announce a fresh salary increase for personnel of the Armed Forces of Nigeria as part of the Federal Government's commitment to improving the welfare of troops.
By ISRAEL BULUS ·
ABUJA – The Minister of Defence, General Christopher Gwabin Musa (retd.), has disclosed that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu will soon announce a fresh salary increase for personnel of the Armed Forces of Nigeria as part of the Federal Government's commitment to improving the welfare of troops.
Musa made the announcement on Monday in Abuja during a one-day training and financial empowerment workshop organised for widows and wives of service personnel.
The minister said the planned salary review was in recognition of the sacrifices of military personnel and formed part of the government's broader efforts to strengthen troop morale and operational effectiveness.
Recalling previous welfare reforms, Musa said the monthly salary of soldiers was increased from ₦49,000 to ₦100,000 during his tenure as Chief of Defence Staff, noting that efforts were underway to secure another upward review.
"I want to state here that a few weeks ago, I mentioned that soldiers are now receiving ₦100,000. When I was Chief of Defence Staff, soldiers were receiving ₦49,000. About two years ago, I pushed for an increase to ₦100,000, and that was achieved. We are, however, making further efforts to increase it again," he said.
The minister expressed confidence that President Tinubu would soon unveil the new salary package for military personnel.
"I am confident that very soon, Mr. President will announce another salary increase for our men," he added.
Speaking on the theme of the workshop, "Renewed Hope for Families of the Armed Forces of Nigeria Through Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Development," Musa said the effectiveness of the military depended not only on modern equipment and well-trained personnel but also on the economic stability of soldiers' families.
He commended military spouses for supporting personnel serving on the frontlines and paid tribute to widows of fallen service members for their resilience and sacrifices.
"To the spouses gathered here today, your resilience, patience and steadfast support give your loved ones the confidence to remain focused on their responsibilities. To our widows whose husbands served Nigeria with honour, your strength and perseverance in the face of loss remain an enduring source of inspiration," he said.
The empowerment programme was organised by the Ministry of Defence in partnership with the Small and Medium Enterprises Development Agency of Nigeria.
Earlier, the Director-General of the agency, Charles Odii, said ₦25 million had been disbursed to 500 widows and wives of soldiers serving on the frontlines to support their small businesses and entrepreneurial ventures.
Odii described the initiative as an ongoing nationwide programme designed to equip beneficiaries with financial knowledge, entrepreneurial skills and greater access to financial inclusion.
The event was attended by the wife of the Minister of Defence, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Defence, Richard Pheelangwa, senior ministry officials, development partners and other stakeholders.