Nigeria

FG: First Batch of Nigerians Evacuated from South Africa to Arrive Lagos on Thursday

FG: First Batch of Nigerians Evacuated from South Africa to Arrive Lagos on Thursday

By Divine Macaulay ยท

FG: First Batch of Nigerians Evacuated from South Africa to Arrive Lagos on Thursday

The Federal Government has announced that the first batch of Nigerians being repatriated from South Africa following recent xenophobic attacks will arrive at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos on Thursday morning.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, Kimiebi Ebienfa, spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said the Air Peace flight conveying the returnees is expected to land in Lagos at about 5:00 a.m.

According to the statement, the aircraft will depart O.R. Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg on Wednesday night as part of the government's evacuation efforts.

Ebienfa stated that the Federal Government is fully funding the repatriation exercise and has made adequate arrangements to receive and support the returnees upon arrival.

"Upon arrival, the evacuees will undergo documentation and profiling procedures and will receive the necessary assistance and support before being reunited with their families," the statement said.

The evacuation flight was initially scheduled for Monday but was rescheduled to Wednesday due to what the ministry described as "unforeseen logistical considerations."

Minister of Foreign Affairs, Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, had earlier explained that the delay was necessary to allow for the completion of documentation and screening processes being carried out in collaboration with South African authorities.

The minister disclosed that more than 1,000 Nigerians in South Africa had participated in the screening exercise, adding that the number of those seeking repatriation continues to rise.

Nigeria's High Commission in Pretoria also revealed that it secured waivers from South African authorities to enable Nigerians with immigration-related issues to depart through the repatriation programme instead of facing detention.

At least 270 Nigerians are expected to return in the first batch of evacuees. The operation is being coordinated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in partnership with the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and other relevant government agencies.