DSS Plays El-Rufai’s ‘Wiretapping’ Interview in Court as Deji Adeyanju Testifies
DSS Plays El-Rufai’s ‘Wiretapping’ Interview in Court as Deji Adeyanju Testifies
By Divine Macaulay ·
The trial of former Kaduna State governor, Nasir el-Rufai, over allegations of unauthorised access to a telephone conversation involving the National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu, continued on Monday, with the Department of State Services (DSS) presenting activist-lawyer Deji Adeyanju as its second witness.
At the resumed hearing before the Federal High Court in Abuja, the prosecution played a video of el-Rufai's February 13, 2026 interview on Arise Television, in which he alleged that "someone wiretapped" Ribadu's phone and disclosed details of an alleged directive to arrest him.
Led in evidence by DSS counsel, Oluwole Aladedoye, Adeyanju told the court that reports had circulated on February 12 suggesting el-Rufai was either to be arrested or invited for questioning by security agencies. He said he publicly advised the former governor to submit himself for investigation, insisting at the time that the matter did not appear politically motivated.
Adeyanju further testified that he appeared on Arise Television on February 13, the same day el-Rufai granted the interview that forms part of the prosecution's case.
Following an application by the DSS, Justice Joyce Abdulmalik admitted and played the recording of el-Rufai's interview in open court. Adeyanju confirmed that the video accurately captured the former governor's remarks during the programme.
The prosecution also tendered a flash drive containing Adeyanju's interview on the same television programme, alongside a certificate of compliance. Both documents were admitted in evidence as Exhibits H and H1.
In the interview played before the court, the programme's anchor, Charles Aniagolu, asked Adeyanju whether he believed the government genuinely intended to arrest el-Rufai. Adeyanju replied that if that had been the intention, the DSS could have arrested the former governor upon his arrival at the airport.
The witness told the court that after the television appearance, he received a letter from the DSS inviting him for questioning. He said he honoured the invitation and, though "reluctantly", made a statement in which he confirmed that el-Rufai had publicly alleged that Ribadu's telephone conversation had been intercepted.
Cross-examination
Under cross-examination by el-Rufai's counsel, Paul Erokoro (SAN), Adeyanju was asked whether he heard the former governor admit in the interview that he personally tapped any telephone conversation.
The witness replied: "We listened to their calls."
Erokoro then questioned whether hearing a conversation played on a speakerphone amounted to phone tapping. The prosecution objected to the line of questioning, but the defence argued it was necessary to clarify the witness's testimony.
Responding, Adeyanju said that if he had merely listened to a conversation played on speakerphone in someone's presence, he would have stated so.
Asked whether he would be surprised if the NSA was unable to identify the device allegedly used to intercept the conversation, the witness said he had no opinion on the issue.
Adeyanju also told the court that he appeared to testify only because he had been served with a subpoena.
Earlier in the proceedings, the subpoena compelling his appearance was tendered and admitted in evidence.
Justice Abdulmalik subsequently adjourned the case until June 23 for the continuation of trial.
El-Rufai is standing trial on a five-count amended charge bordering on the alleged unauthorised access to a telephone conversation involving the National Security Adviser. He was arraigned in April and pleaded not guilty to all counts. In May, the court granted him bail in the sum of ₦100 million.