Court Sentences Elozino Ogege’s Killers to Death
Court Sentences Elozino Ogege’s Killers to Death
By Divine Macaulay ·
Ogege, a first-class undergraduate and indigene of Isoko, Delta State, was murdered in 2019 after leaving to meet a man who had promised to help her secure accommodation in Abraka, the university community. Investigators later linked her killing to suspected ritualists associated with internet fraud, popularly known as "Yahoo Yahoo Plus."
Nine years after the brutal murder of Delta State University (DELSU) student, Elozino Joshualia Ogege, a Delta State High Court sitting in Ogwashi-Uku has sentenced two men convicted of the crime to death by hanging.
Justice Flora Ngozi Azinge, who delivered judgment on Wednesday, found Macaulay Desmond Oghenemaro and Enaike Onoriode guilty of conspiracy to commit kidnapping, kidnapping, conspiracy to commit murder and the murder of the 300-level Mass Communication student.
The court, however, discharged and acquitted the third defendant, Nwosisi Benedict Uche, after ruling that the prosecution failed to establish his guilt beyond reasonable doubt.
Ogege, a first-class undergraduate and indigene of Isoko, Delta State, was murdered in 2019 after leaving to meet a man who had promised to help her secure accommodation in Abraka, the university community. Investigators later linked her killing to suspected ritualists associated with internet fraud, popularly known as "Yahoo Yahoo Plus."
The Delta State Government, through the Office of the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, prosecuted the defendants on an eight-count charge bordering on conspiracy, kidnapping, armed robbery and murder.
A fourth defendant, Robinson Obajero Ojokojo, said to be a native doctor, died during the course of the trial.
The case experienced repeated delays over the years, largely due to the absence of counsel representing the first defendant. Following the adoption of final written addresses earlier this year, the court fixed July 29, 2026, for judgment.
Reacting to the verdict, Delta State Solicitor-General and Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Justice, Omamuzo Erebe (SAN), who led the prosecution, described the judgment as a landmark victory for justice.
He said the ruling brought long-awaited closure to Ogege's family, who had endured nearly a decade of waiting for justice.
"Today, we witnessed the conclusion of a trial that commenced about nine years ago. The court found the defendants guilty of conspiracy to commit kidnapping, kidnapping, conspiracy to commit murder and murder. For the offences of conspiracy to commit murder and murder, they were sentenced to death by hanging," Erebe said.
He added that the judgment should serve as a strong warning to young people seeking quick wealth through ritual killings and other criminal activities.
"The law will eventually take its course, no matter how long it takes. This judgment sends a clear message that those who engage in ritual killings and related crimes will face the full weight of the law," he said.
Also reacting, Isoko lawyer Duncan Afahokor described the judgment as "justice at last," saying it demonstrated that justice had not only been done but had been seen to be done.
He noted that the verdict should deter those who believe wealth could be acquired through the killing of innocent people and commended members of the Umeh Need Road Facebook community for sustaining advocacy that kept Ogege's case in the public eye throughout the lengthy trial.
Former President of the Isoko Monitoring Group, Dr. Sebastine Ogoloyoyo Agbefe, and founder of The Ideal Isoko Woman, Xino Monnitey, also welcomed the judgment, describing it as long-awaited justice for Ogege and her family.