Security

13 Children Died in Six-Month Captivity — Kwara Kidnap Survivor

13 Children Died in Six-Month Captivity — Kwara Kidnap Survivor

By Divine Macaulay ·

13 Children Died in Six-Month Captivity — Kwara Kidnap Survivor

Saliu Amira, a nurse and one of the victims rescued by security agencies, said the abductees endured harsh conditions, inadequate food and prolonged exposure to the elements while in captivity.

At least 13 children reportedly died during the six-month captivity of 163 residents abducted from communities in Kaiama Local Government Area of Kwara State, a survivor has disclosed.

Saliu Amira, a nurse and one of the victims rescued by security agencies, said the abductees endured harsh conditions, inadequate food and prolonged exposure to the elements while in captivity.

Amira said 12 other children also followed their abductors during the ordeal, bringing the number of children lost or unaccounted for to 25.

“The day that we reached there, they just dropped guinea corn for us with salt and Maggi,” she recounted.

She added that the victims were kept in difficult conditions, including being left in a river area for extended periods.

The 163 victims were rescued through a joint operation involving multiple security agencies, according to Nicholas Rume, Commander of the 22 Armoured Brigade.

Rume commended the participating agencies for their cooperation, describing the rescue as an example of effective synergy among Nigeria’s security forces.

Kwara State Governor, Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, received the rescued victims in Ilorin on Friday and praised the security agencies for the successful operation.

The governor said the establishment of a new Army brigade in the state would further strengthen security and improve the government’s response to threats in vulnerable communities.

He disclosed that 46 of the rescued victims had been admitted to a government medical facility for treatment.

“I have since directed that the appropriate medical attention be extended to everyone to ensure their well-being,” Abdulrazaq said.

The victims were abducted on February 3 when armed assailants attacked Woro, Nuku and other communities in Kaiama LGA.

The attacks reportedly left at least 75 people dead, displaced hundreds of residents and severely affected several communities.

Although the exact number of abductees was initially unclear, reports estimated that about 170 people, including women and children, were taken hostage.

The Kwara State Government announced their release on August 5, after nearly six months in captivity.